Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Carrot Cake

We celebrated the hub's birthday recently. He has yet to use the last three gifts I've given him for events such as this and so I purchased some small useful items for him. After the usual dining out we returned home to do presents and cake. He opened his cards and told the yougins thanks. He somehow managed to pass up my thank you all together. We moved on to the cake. Now previously we had an event where a friend of mine made us carrot cake. Everyone ate it with glee. Keeping this in mind and how the hub is trying not to eat a lot of sweets I had a carrot cake made (unfortunately not by my friend). As we cut into the cake my youngin chimes in how much they dislike raisins, then the hub adds "I don't even like carrot cake" then my youngin "me either, I don't like it". I sigh and try to explain why I picked it. "I used to but not at all anymore" says the hub. "I really don't want to eat this" says Youngin. "Well don't eat it then" I say. After a few fork attacks to a piece the hub decides he's done and tosses his plate into the sink. Now just days earlier this was attempted with a cup of juice resulting in a miss and a mess. This time was no different. Off the rim and cake goes flying all over onto the floor. No, no I'll get it... As Hub and youngins go off to get ready for sleep I take the cake to the neighbors' house and leave its sad state with them. I slouch my shoulders and head inside only to be greeted with more complaints. It was a long night, full of emptiness in a moment that should have been full of love and celebration. I will not make this mistake twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment